A Photograph of me without me in it

A Photograph of me without me in it
A photograph of me without me in it

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Resolved

Last Sunday, I went to church pissed. My little church was one of the first Methodist churches in the country to celebrate, not just “accept” gay people, and the sanctuary has been a home for me for decades. My congregation prayed for me when my brain tumors were diagnosed. From this congregation, I made friends in a rural Salvadoran community. My partner and I became wife and wife there. 

Last week, the international Methodist church voted to maintain language in the Book of Discipline that says “Homosexuality is not compatible with Christian teaching.” The international body increased penalties for pastors who are found to be gay or perform gay union ceremonies. 

I argued years ago, when a lesbian coming out committed suicide, that our church should separate from the larger church. How could we remain part of an unjust organization? I was told our church needed to remain part of the larger organization in order to change the larger church from the inside. 

It’s true that the Western conference to which our church belongs embraces those of us who are LGBTQIA+. In fact, at the end of the General Conference which just occurred, the final proclamation came from our bishop, asserting that the Western Conference would continue to defy the larger church’s rules. 

The worry among many Methodists in the years leading up to this decision was that the church would split over “the gay issue.” If that happened, the argument went, U.S. connections to African and Pilipino churches, to their people and ways of understanding the world, would be severed.

It occurred to me in an after-church report on the conference that we are already split. The question, it seems to me, is not a spiritual one so much as a legal one. Will we continue to be part of an unjust system, or will we break away. To quote our church’s much-revered Cecil Taylor, “We must save our souls.” We must break away. 

That’s what I think now. I’m not pissed. I’m resolved. 

It’s true that separating will be complicated. Who will separate? Will churches leave individually, or will the more liberal churches leave together to create a new denomination? Will our church keep our property? Will retired pastors still have their pensions? What will happen to LGBTQIA+ members of more conservative churches and conferences? 

Each of those questions is big, and I don’t know the answers. I can’t even guess at them. The only thing that seems clear to me is that our international church has already split. Our divorce seems inevitable. And necessary.

I wonder if one day I’ll say the same about our nation. I pray not, but I wonder.


1 comment:

  1. If you are suffering from pain and sorrow for being done with your ex . if you are desperate to regain it .And if you're really ready to become the woman he will not be able to resist ...So this may be the most important letter you will read. Here's why.
    You can regain your man back. You can do it in 7 days from now. And this system works, no matter how complicated your situation is .You still love your ex. But all he says is "It's not you, it's me"I know things are not easy for you. You do not understand the behavior of your ex or the things he says now. You are super confused and need a solution.
    Look, let's face it. None of the advice you get from your friends is working, right?
    And you know that not so simple "overcome the end" as everyone says.
    THE PAIN OF NOT BEING WITH HIM IS SIMPLY TOO MUCH Well, hold on to your seat because there is now a revolutionary system that you can use to make sure your ex wants to be with you again .Even though it was a terrible ending .Imagine you could create such pleasant conditions that a man would do anything - even get down on his knees and ask him to marry him - just to keep you always by his side. Dr sharaja the spell caster is here to help and assist in getting your ex back in your life..you can contact him Dr sharajasid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Please comment: I'd love to hear your thoughts!