A Photograph of me without me in it

A Photograph of me without me in it
A photograph of me without me in it

Monday, June 21, 2010

NL #43: The Courage to Learn

NL #43: I am trying to imagine what famous people might say if they read my book. Here are some guesses:

Sarah Palin: "I like reading this book on my front porch, so that I can look up between entries to monitor the situation in Russia."

Ellen Degeneres: "Our next guest, Mary E., is a talented writer and inspiring adventurer. We have a lot in common. We both have blue eyes. We're both lesbians and came out in our thirties. We both aim for kind humor. Though we are so similar, you can tell us apart. Mary had two brain tumors, and I haven't even had one. Mary is a thousand-aire and I am a gazillion-aire. Mary walks with a cane and I dance up stairs. Please welcome..."

Martha and Emily (former students, former Dixie Chicks, current Courtyard Hounds):
Emily: "I think I'll send this book back to Mary with  suggestions for revision just like she always did for my essays. Then, after she revises it, I'll send her more suggestions."
Martha: "I don't really remember writing essays for her class. I just remember the time I fell asleep in the library and missed her class. She wasn't mad. She was more concerned about my missing my sleep than about my missing Chaucer."

Shaggy and Scooby-Doo:
Shaggy: "Will you read this book for one Scooby Snack?"
Scooby-Doo: "Huh-uh."
Shaggy: "Will you read this book for two Scooby Snacks?"
Scooby-Doo: "Huh-uh."
Shaggy: ""Will you read this book for three Scooby Snacks?"
Scooby-Doo: "Uhhh. Oh ay."

Obama, "Now let's be clear about this..."

David Sedaris, "I remember what a great kick-ball player Mary was in the first grade, but I didn't realilze she too has an eccentric family. I think I'll start writing about her family."

JFK: "Ask not what Mary can do for you. Ask what you can do for Mary."

Oscar the Grouch: "I love trash."

Willie Nelson, "This story reminds me of a woman with a tumor whom I once left. She's always on my mind. I wonder if she remembers me. I think I'll write a song."

Sue Bird: "I'll bet she could have beat me in H-O-R-S-E if she didn't have that tumor."

Parker Palmer: "She has, not just the courage to teach, but also the courage to learn."

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment: I'd love to hear your thoughts!