A Photograph of me without me in it

A Photograph of me without me in it
A photograph of me without me in it

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Junk eMail

My junk mail tells me that I am entering a new phase of life, a new age. Next month, (mark your calendars), on March 13, I will celebrate 48 years on this planet.

Somebody must have told the junk email gods that I am getting old. I get a lot of invitations from "Meet Senior Singles in your Area," and "Meet Christian Senior Singles." Though I do attend church, my church is awfully progressive, and I'm guessing I'm not really the Christian Singsles demographic.

For starters, I'm not a senior. Additionally, I'm not who "Christians" usually market to. Thanks to my cousin Lori, I once belonged to "Focus on the Family," but that was a long time ago, and I never renewed my subscription. Also, I'm not single. I have a partner, though since she's a she, maybe they don't count that.

I'm also getting email from Hospital Beds for Home, Motorized Wheelchairs, and the Walking Cane Store (well, I did order a cane from them.)

New on the list is the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). I can't even qualify for AARP until I'm 50 years old, and I won't qualify for retirment until I'm 65 years old. I think they're marketing a little early.

Maybe turning 48 years old is sort of like turning 17 years old, a wasteland of new priviledges. At sweet sixteen, I got my driver's licence. In my day, at 18 I could legally drink alcohol. At 17? I could go to an R rated movie, something I had been doing for years. Whoopee.

At 48, I get to...keep getting older. That's pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. 48 seems young to me! I think that the spam bots cannot quite figure out what category to put me in - being disabled so young just doesnt fit in their categories.

    And you are YOUNG. You dont qualify for AARP! You cant even get the Sr discount at Ross on Tues [that my mom was excited about because you only have to be 60]. The other day I was having lunch with my aunt, her cousin, [my silent husband]. The cousin and I were talking about how much we love Medicare and teasing my aunt about being too young. My Aunt was all bitter about her upcoming years of paying so much for health insurance. See?! You are YOUNG.

    FYI, I always think of you as married. Have thought that for ages. I think marriage is the conscious commitment, not the wrinkled up piece of paper I have in my backpack for when people hassle me about having too many names.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment: I'd love to hear your thoughts!